For those that live on the island, you probably have the same feeling as I do when you return home from a trip either by air or sea…. This relief, this sense of returning home to what is dear. It usually happens to me either as we approach Nanaimo by sea plane or jet and envision the crystal-clear Salish Sea below with the myriad gulf islands, and the many sea-going vessels carving white wakes in the azure waters.
Or as we arrive at Departure Bay Ferry terminal, gliding past the small red and white lighthouse and the red-roofed outbuildings on Entrance Island and the rocky shores of Gabriola. You look out of the window and see the silhouette of our small city against the green blur of the mountains behind it and the beautiful blue of the oceans scattered with birdlife and boats of all sizes … it is truly spectacular. We are so lucky to live in such a paradise.
And finally, as we turn into our little street and see our house, our garden, our place … as there is no place like home.
As we revel in the start of summer, I want to remember those who are unable to return home because of the devastation of the wildfires that in some cases have razed whole neighbourhoods and communities to the ground, not only across our province, but all over Canada.
Here are my favourite quotes about home.
- “Home is where our story begins…”
- “Home is the starting place of love, hope and dreams.”
- “The magic thing about home is that it feels good to leave, and it feels even better to come back.”
- “Home is where love resides, memories are created, friends always belong, and laughter never ends.”
- “A house is made of bricks and beams. A home is made of hopes and dreams.”
- “Home is not a place…it’s a feeling.”